Homecoming Server Update: Moves, XP, and EU!

GM Tempest

• Game Master

Hello, everyone!

As promised, we’re back with some more news, and now we’ve got ourselves a bit to go over. We’ve got some big topics to cover, a special surprise from our occasionally competent coders, and news for our European friends, so sit down with your coffee/tea and enjoy!

The Move To OVH

Our move to Canada has unfortunately been delayed and might not happen until early next week due to the issues we had with our PayPal account (for those that missed it: The donations came in so fast that our account got locked, it did trip us up a bit, but thankfully we have access to the funds now, and are now in the process of preparing for the move to OVH!). As soon as we have a date locked in we will let you know.

During the move, we will be wiping out all AE content; there is some residual instability caused by how the AE server was set up when we brought a second shard online. In the interests of ensuring a smooth transition, we’ll be wiping the AE missions so when we move we can start with a clean slate. If you have any AE missions you wish to save and upload after the move, please do so BEFORE the move happens. Again, ALL AE MISSIONS will be wiped.

NO OTHER DATA IS BEING WIPED IN THIS MOVE. NO CHARACTER DATA WILL BE LOST.

Chat logging will be re-enabled after this move, as reports of serious harassment have been reaching us, and we will need these logs in order to investigate and remove offenders. Logs will be kept for 7 days before being purged. No other data will be logged.

Custom XP Rates

XP has been a hotly-discussed topic over the last few weeks! We’ve heard all of your feedback - some people want the old pace back, some people want it to be faster - and we think we’ve come up with a pretty good middle-ground.

Starting with the next patch, you will be able to select your own XP rate. The options will be +0%, +25%, +50% and +100%. However, there’s a catch - your Influence income will be reduced by the same amount (so if you select +100% XP, you will receive no Influence).

You’ll be able to acquire these XP boosts for free from the P2W Vendor (or the Transact 4 Victory vendor in Praetoria). They last for 1 hour of in-game time each, but you can stack them for up to 8 hours. If you wish to revert back to the standard XP rate, you can delete the power by right-clicking on it in the Powers window.

Mbkc1AK.png

A preview from our private test server

These boosts will also stop functioning once you hit level 50 - all Veteran Levels must be earned the old fashioned way!

To clarify, this means the base XP rate of all shards will be dropped back to the default 100%. This also means that Patrol XP will work again (it’s incompatible with server-wide XP buffs). AE XP will still remain halved for all non-dev choice content.

Please note that this is an experimental feature, it may be adjusted or removed at any time without notice. We’re also very open to feedback on this system, so please do let us know your thoughts!

Official EU Shard - Reunion

We’ve listened to our EU players, and have worked up a plan for you folks! After some discussions with the team, we’ve determined that taking Halcyon back to the EU will be our best bet to provide the best possible experience for our EU players!

Halcyon will be renamed to ‘Reunion (EU)’ and will be hosted in Frankfurt, Germany, instead of in Canada with the rest of the shards. To be clear: Reunion will be listed alongside all the other shards, and still have access to the same shared global services (Global Chat, AE, and the Auction House). The only difference is the geographical location.

In order to accommodate this move, we will be providing extra shard transfer tokens to allow all of our EU players to move over to their new home!

Regular Maintenance Schedule

After our migration to OVH, we will be establishing 3 regular maintenance windows in order to give you a more predictable downtime warning.

Our schedule will be 12:00 PM - 2 PM UTC every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. This schedule may change over time, and will almost certainly shift during Summer Time.

Our downtime will rarely fill this entire window, and we may not need to go down during every window, but we're reserving those slots for any maintenance that may be needed.

Please note that emergency maintenance may still need to occur at short notice.

Server Status Page

It’s new! It’s now! It’s wow! It’s...the SERVER STATUS PAGE!

Do You Want To Know More? Do you want juicy statistics? Do you want to Git Gud? Do you want to know if it’s just you that can’t connect, or did the server go down? How much RAM are we using? CPU load? How many people are breathing all of your air and stealing all of your XP?

Find out now! Buy now, only $19.99 in BananaBucks!

Or free. Free is good too.

https://score.savecoh.com/status/

(For those wondering: Vigilantes and Resistance-Aligned Praetorians are tracked as Heroes, Rogues and Loyalist-Aligned Praetorians are tracked as Villains.)

Nice work. like the idea for the xp boost.

For harassment and such stuff. If over offenders happen do you think deleting there account and toons would be the best way or just ip ban. So they can't join again.

I mean the ones that get warnings after warnings then suspended accounts after that. 2 warnings 1 suspension and then account wipe then ip ban. you know over offenders

NO OTHER DATA IS BEING WIPED IN THIS MOVE. NO CHARACTER DATA WILL BE LOST.

Thanks for allaying any concerns with this.

Custom XP Rates

XP has been a hotly-discussed topic over the last few weeks! We’ve heard all of your feedback - some people want the old pace back, some people want it to be faster - and we think we’ve come up with a pretty good middle-ground.

Starting with the next patch, you will be able to select your own XP rate. The options will be +0%, +25%, +50% and +100%. However, there’s a catch - your Influence income will be reduced by the same amount (so if you select +100% XP, you will receive no Influence).

You’ll be able to acquire these XP boosts for free from the P2W Vendor (or the Transact 4 Victory vendor in Praetoria). They last for 1 hour of in-game time each, but you can stack them for up to 8 hours. If you wish to revert back to the standard XP rate, you can delete the power by right-clicking on it in the Powers window.

This is a FANTASTIC change and option. I have to ask though... while I may have joked about it in the past, why not just literally include an "I Win" option in the P2W Vendor, which will instantly put someone at level 50 and they can then go to a trainer and level up, picking all their powers? Then they could choose to have a level 50 instantly, and use whatever other tricks they've come up with to load their characters with influence/enhancements/other loot. That way, all of the powerlevellers will have an easy route to an instant 50, if they want to just skip all of the "old" content that they find "mind-numbing". Full disclosure: I'm not one of those players, I love the game from 0-50!

Server Status Page

Do You Want To Know More? Do you want juicy statistics? Do you want to Git Gud? Do you want to know if it’s just you that can’t connect, or did the server go down? How much RAM are we using? CPU load? How many people are breathing all of your air and stealing all of your XP?

(For those wondering: Vigilantes and Resistance-Aligned Praetorians are tracked as Heroes, Rogues and Loyalist-Aligned Praetorians are tracked as Villains.)

OMG! Thank you SO much! It's what I've always wanted! It's SO pretty! MmcrG7p.gif

I'm out.

Regular Maintenance Schedule

After our migration to OVH, we will be establishing 3 regular maintenance windows in order to give you a more predictable downtime warning.

Our schedule will be 12:00 PM - 2 PM UTC every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. This schedule may change over time, and will almost certainly shift during Summer Time.

Our downtime will rarely fill this entire window, and we may not need to go down during every window, but we're reserving those slots for any maintenance that may be needed.

Please note that emergency maintenance may still need to occur at short notice.

Would be nice if these could be pulled back by a day.

Mon, Wed & Fri would mean that we would not lose access to the server during the weekend at midday (I'm in the UK).

That said, not sure if Sat was chosen for a reason (e.g. higher loads Friday - Sunday require a maintenance window in there).

All in all, great changes though. :)

Server Status Page

You guys know how to make me laugh. Now to go and look up this BananaBucks store XD

You may also know me in game as...

Mupi Widt - AKB048 - Pulsar Girl - Captain Dad - Popsicle Girl - Carpathian - Tatanya Angelica Snow

I think an "insta-50 token" could be a good Big Influence Sink.  I don't think I'd offer it for FREE, but price it at, like, 1 or 2 billion influence maybe...?

Global: @Reiska, both here and back on live.

I was Erika Shimomura and Nagare Yuki on Virtue during the Live era.

Now I play on Everlasting. 🙂

• City Council

Mon, Wed & Fri would mean that we would not lose access to the server during the weekend at midday (I'm in the UK).

That said, not sure if Sat was chosen for a reason (e.g. higher loads Friday - Sunday require a maintenance window in there).

All in all, great changes though. :)

Yep we know it's not ideal, we just want to make sure we have a window on the weekend where our team has a good amount of time to perform the bigger tasks.

• Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

I think an "insta-50 token" could be a good Big Influence Sink.  I don't think I'd offer it for FREE, but price it at, like, 1 or 2 billion influence maybe...?

It would defeat the purpose of playing the game if you can just fork over money to skip what makes it so great, no?

It would defeat the purpose of playing the game if you can just fork over money to skip what makes it so great, no?

I think so, but then again, I've never min/maxed of powerlevelled... I don't really understand that playstyle. But I don't think it's our place to decide how others play, as long as their playstyle doesn't interfere with others.

And that's why I suggested the "I Win" button, because I ALREADY see people on the live servers powerlevelling left and right, using server resources for that purpose. So, why waste the server resources? Just give them their end goal, and then those resources will be more open to those that actually want to play the content.

Those that want to play the game "as-is" can ignore the feature and just play the game, and those that don't, can play the way they want to. I, for one, will be in the former category.

I'm out.

It's more likely due to the RL "Day Job" schedules of the Admins and average server load recorded to date.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I really feel like the AE xp issue should be resolved. If you are giving people the ability to earn x2 xp at will, I fail to see how running x1 xp in the AE (essentially have it back to its normal rates) is not warranted. I can even understand saying that the xp tokens to earn a bonus will not apply in the AE, but if someone is going to choose to give up the influence they need to get enhancements then in order to stay effective in real game play they are going to need a resource for earning enhancements.

So IMO either the xp should be normalized in the AE in order to make it a viable way to level and earn at a game intended rate with no way to boost xp with the tokens, or then the ticket reward should be dramatically increased so that for the lower xp it becomes a viable means to earn what you lose using the tokens.

All the nerf to the xp has done is essentially change the farm. Before nerfing the xp no one was doing the death from below stuff. Now that is all that is spammed in looking for a team all day long. It it is truly a resource issue then put limits on what you can create in the AE, only so many helper toons etc. But as of right now you are willing to boost the xp in normal game and have it cost influence, however you have nerfed the rewards in the AE without offering any bonus for the lower xp. If you don't want the AE to be viable for people to use, then just get rid of it.

I think so, but then again, I've never min/maxed of powerlevelled... I don't really understand that playstyle. But I don't think it's our place to decide how others play, as long as their playstyle doesn't interfere with others.

And that's why I suggested the "I Win" button, because I ALREADY see people on the live servers powerlevelling left and right, using server resources for that purpose. So, why waste the server resources? Just give them their end goal, and then those resources will be more open to those that actually want to play the content.

Those that want to play the game "as-is" can ignore the feature and just play the game, and those that don't, can play the way they want to. I, for one, will be in the former category.

I was more about the interaction with the players and the community. If the game start handing out level 50 slips, then those won't participate in finding groups and run content with others pre-50, and eventually the activity in LFG channels will die down because of that.

I like the XP options.

How about the same thing but for INF? +XX% INF with a -XX% XP

You kind of sort of already have that. There's an in-game option to "turn off XP" that will automatically convert that XP into influence instead.

I'm out.

I really feel like the AE xp issue should be resolved. If you are giving people the ability to earn x2 xp at will, I fail to see how running x1 xp in the AE (essentially have it back to its normal rates) is not warranted. I can even understand saying that the xp tokens to earn a bonus will not apply in the AE, but if someone is going to choose to give up the influence they need to get enhancements then in order to stay effective in real game play they are going to need a resource for earning enhancements.

So IMO either the xp should be normalized in the AE in order to make it a viable way to level and earn at a game intended rate with no way to boost xp with the tokens, or then the ticket reward should be dramatically increased so that for the lower xp it becomes a viable means to earn what you lose using the tokens.

All the nerf to the xp has done is essentially change the farm. Before nerfing the xp no one was doing the death from below stuff. Now that is all that is spammed in looking for a team all day long. It it is truly a resource issue then put limits on what you can create in the AE, only so many helper toons etc. But as of right now you are willing to boost the xp in normal game and have it cost influence, however you have nerfed the rewards in the AE without offering any bonus for the lower xp. If you don't want the AE to be viable for people to use, then just get rid of it.

I sort of see your point but these XP buffs are currently in game now they cost inf I tested the 10mil boost for an hour and running that and AE with the current rates is about the same XP rate as pre-nerf but you get ZERO inf as a penalty I see this is a fair trade as this prevents the market from getting completely ruined due to inf farms as the server wide rate changes effect the inf gains.

Nice work. like the idea for the xp boost.

For harassment and such stuff. If over offenders happen do you think deleting there account and toons would be the best way or just ip ban. So they can't join again.

Not effective.  Most people don't have a static IP address.  I can be assigned a new IP by Verizon simply by shutting off my modem and turning it back on.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.