HeroStats under Win10 and new game?

GnomeDePlume

Has anyone gotten HeroStats up and running on their local machine, and able to read data from their current hero?  The app will run for me, but not be able to identify the CoH process or gather any data, maybe because of the newer memory model used in Win10 that wasn't an issue a decade ago.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/herostats/files/latest/download

Anyone else have success?

Haven't used it on this version, but my best guess for the problem is that HeroStats is looking for the wrong exe file to read/load.  I'm pretty sure the old retail was coh.exe, while the freeshard is running score.exe

Someone would likely have to take apart HeroStats to figure out if I'm correct or not though.

What Auranyte is true, but additionally the game EXE has changed enough that the HeroStats scanner would have to be updated. That's a long and fiddly process involving looking into the game's memory space and looking for particular data structures. It's been years (obviously) since I last did it and I don't really remember all the specifics. I'm not excited about re-learning how to do it again!

On the other hand, now that the game code is in the hands of the community, it would be possible for someone on the coding team to simply add the functionality that HeroStats provided into the game client itself. The issue there, of course, is that you need someone on the current development team to focus on doing that, and they've got a lot of other things on their plates!

• 2 weeks later

What Auranyte is true, but additionally the game EXE has changed enough that the HeroStats scanner would have to be updated. That's a long and fiddly process involving looking into the game's memory space and looking for particular data structures. It's been years (obviously) since I last did it and I don't really remember all the specifics. I'm not excited about re-learning how to do it again!

This is the problem I just found. It's actually very easy to grab the source and change it to look for score.exe, compiled without any extra work at all. But then it fails to search the memory for the right things, even once it finds the process. That's a MUCH bigger problem.

Excelsior Global Channel - for your server wide chat and forming TFs, Trials, Radios, Farms, whatever you want to do - /chan_join Excelsior today!

• City Council

On the other hand, now that the game code is in the hands of the community, it would be possible for someone on the coding team to simply add the functionality that HeroStats provided into the game client itself. The issue there, of course, is that you need someone on the current development team to focus on doing that, and they've got a lot of other things on their plates!

Some sort of client API for addons like this is something that's on my radar. If you could design any kind of information gathering interface you wanted, what kind of things would you like to see in it and what would be easy to connect to?

• Like 1

Some sort of client API for addons like this is something that's on my radar. If you could design any kind of information gathering interface you wanted, what kind of things would you like to see in it and what would be easy to connect to?

Man, if I'd gotten a message like this back on retail, I'd have had a freakin' book of requests! It's been long enough now that I don't recall everything, but off the top of my head:

• We grabbed basic character info - name, AT, alignment, level, etc - from the client's memory. A simple API to retrieve those for the logged in character should be pretty straightforward.
  • The big lift in API terms would be an event based system to track basically everything that happens in combat. Ideally, I'd want to be able to register listener functions for all combat events: hits, misses, damage dealt, damage taken, mob defeats, players defeats, and so on. HeroStats uses all that information to consolidate information on total damage, number of defeats, average power damage, and so on.
  • The most-used HeroStats function other than badge tracking (which was really the badge sites, we just sent stuff to them) was the power timers. People like to have a countdown for long-recharge powers and a high-visibility warning when buffs (like force fields) are about to expire on their allies. We derived that information from power activation and power recharge chat messages, so an event listener for those would cover it.

Like I said above, a lot of this functionality probably would fit better in the client itself, honestly. Perhaps some new options to show countdown timers on the power bar or more noticeable warnings on the team buff bar. I could see wanting to avoid the overhead of combat statistic consolidation in the client, though, so an API would make sense there.

I'd also love the ability to get AH information for each character via an API, so some kind of AH monitoring could be done from outside of the game.

Excelsior Global Channel - for your server wide chat and forming TFs, Trials, Radios, Farms, whatever you want to do - /chan_join Excelsior today!

Also, folks, please keep in mind that HeroStats won't work unless it is logged into http://cit.cohtitan.com, which Titan has explicitly stated won't be happening.  Same thing with their Sentinel monitor -- both fed City Info Terminal back in the day, but were deprecated after Sunset and they have no plans to re-enable them for the private server space.

-=Janrith.

The part of herostats that I wanted to get back is timers for my long running powers, exp/min and inf/min calculations, and the like. I expect that all of those would work fine even though the Titan folks don’t want to support anyone else’s servers.

Yeah, tbh, never sure I used the titan part of herostats or cared about it if I did. It's the power cooldown info that I miss.

• 2 weeks later

, what kind of things would you like to see in it and what would be easy to connect to?

Badge tracking please :)

Whilst the list in game is there it is not exactly easy to navigate and find those missing exploration badges (for example).

It's the power cooldown info that I miss.

The part of herostats that I wanted to get back is timers for my long running powers,

Now in game :)

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

• 2 weeks later

The addition of power cooldown number overlays is definitely one of the best modifications done to the code to date, hands down.

Frankly, while I would kill to have HeroStats back, the big reasons were less about power cooldowns themselves and more buff timers and xp/inf rate calcs. While I bet the xp/inf rate calcs could be integrated fairly easily into the game, I'm not sure how one would integrate applied buff timers to be remotely as clear as HeroStats could make it. When it comes down to it, a big ol' block that changes color over time and has the countdown to expiration on it beats out the small dots that are teammate buffs, and to rework that would likely take a lot more than the patch to add numbers to power cooldowns was.

I sure hope someone can pick up the mantle and continue the modifications necessary, though.  :)

Something that could be exported into something like what CIT was. Having an offline look at your alt, the contents of their ID card, badges, etc. A web-based thing like this would help out in many ways including being able to reference alts via URL and really help the badge trackers.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

The addition of power cooldown number overlays is definitely one of the best modifications done to the code to date, hands down.

I didn't think I was gonna like that, but it's really helpful for the longer cool downs. It's a shame we can't put like a limit on it like "don't show me on Really/Fast powers" which will constantly be scrambling down.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Also, folks, please keep in mind that HeroStats won't work unless it is logged into http://cit.cohtitan.com, which Titan has explicitly stated won't be happening.  Same thing with their Sentinel monitor -- both fed City Info Terminal back in the day, but were deprecated after Sunset and they have no plans to re-enable them for the private server space.

-=Janrith.

But if a universal API can be made and distributed, then the team likely would consider opening it back up.

Welp, I changed my mind. Had enough folks pester me (in the nicest possible way) that I decided I'd best go ahead and update HeroStats for Homecoming. It's not nearly as good as an API, which I hope will still be in the works, but it's somewhat functional for now. Keep up on the happenings here:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,4972.0.html

Would it be possible to make an in app option to increase font size. On a 4k screen even with 125/150% scaling it can be hard for me to read.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **